10/09/2009

President Obama Given Nobel Peace Prize

The college I attended once gave an honorary "Doctor of Horse Sense" degree to the favorite horse of one of the founder's friends. (Yes, this is a true story. Please don't ask me any questions about the college I attended. Thank you for your cooperation.) During the ceremony, the horse left behind a present to express his appreciation.

I couldn't help but think of that story this morning when I heard the news that President Obama had been given (I cannot in good conscience use the term "won") the Nobel Peace Prize. It is (what has become) a meaningless award given to someone who had done absolutely nothing to merit it, and all it accomplishes aside from the rather obvious joke is to leave behind a steaming mess for someone else to clean up.

And I can't help but note this irony. On behalf of America, President Obama failed to win the Olympics. On behalf of himself, he is given an international prize. Seems somehow fitting for the "me first" president. But perhaps someone should remind him of the ultimate fate of Narcissus.

2 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Rebecca Aguilar said...

What college did you go to anyway??? =)~

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Bro. Jeff Hallmark said...

I was at Pastor's School that year, I had just started our first church in Texas. If I remember MacArthur was the name of the horse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home