8/29/2005

Internal Warfare

There's a battle raging between two prominent right-of-center websites regarding a poll of potential candidates for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. Only a true political junkie would care about an election that's three years away...which is why I'm writing about it.

Patrick Ruffini, who was the webmaster for the brilliant Bush-Cheney 04 Internet campaign, has been conducting periodic polls where people can vote for their favorite candidate for the next election. His most recent poll, which showed Rudy Guliani leading the pack, sparked a furious rebuttal response from D J Drummond who writes for Polipundit. Ruffini responded today with a rebuttal of his own.

Leaving aside the merits of the case (whether the poll is valid at all and whether it proves anything if so) it's striking to see such energy expending this far out from the election. There's a whole election cycle remaining before the 08 primaries start. I'd prefer to see the guns trained on the opposition rather "red on red" fire. Rather than debate which candidate is leading the (for now) hypothetical field of candidates, let's build the groundwork for winning the next election.

2 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Dan Burrell said...

I don't see a viable Republican candidate on the horizon that does much for me. Of all of the potential ones, I guess George Allen has the most interest or maybe the guy from Kansas (I can't remember his name.) I predict a Clinton/Obama ticket on the Dem. side.

If you like politics, check out Ron G.'s website at www.politics1.com. He's a liberal, South Florida, gay Democrat, but he provides a lot of information and minimal commentary most of the time. I hit it regularly, being the political junky that I am.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Robert said...

I could live with Bill Owen (CO) or Tim Pawlenty (MN), but it doesn't look like either of them will run. Senators have a lousy track record in Presidential politics--the only sitting Senator to win in the last 85 years was JFK...and neither Allen nor Brownback (I'm pretty sure he's the one you're thinking of) is a JFK!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home