7/26/2009

"Jolting" Joe Biden

From Jonathan Adler at the Corner: Today Vice President Joe Biden argues that the stimulus bill is misunderstood. He writes [in a New York Times editorial]: "the act was intended to provide steady support for our economy over an extended period — not a jolt that would last only a few months." Yet as Mark Silva reports:

As recently as June, at a roundtable in New York, Biden called the Recovery Act "an initial big jolt to give the economy a real head start.''

In March, the vice president said ''the Recovery Act, as we call it, provides a necessary jolt to our economy to implement what we refer as 'shovel-ready' projects.''



If Blanche DuBois relied on the kindness of strangers, "Jolting" Joe Biden must rely on the short memories of voters. But this sort of loose acquaintance with the truth is nothing new for Mr. "I have a much higher IQ than you" Biden. In fact he calls nothing to mind so much as this classic from the old MGM musical days:

How could you believe me when I said "I Love You"
When you know I've been a liar all my life?
I've had that reputation since I was a youth -
You must have been insane to think I'd ever tell the truth.
How could you believe me when I said we'd marry,
When you know I'd rather die than have a wife?
I know I said, "I'll make you mine,"
But who would know that you would go for that old line?
How could you believe me when I said "I Love You"
When you know I've been a liar, a good for nothing liar,
All my good for nothin' life?


Fred Astaire, from Royal Wedding (Lerner and Lane)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home