5/18/2007

You've Never Heard Amazing Grace Like This!

So I was doing some research for a writing project today, and I found this rather amazing transcript from the NewsHour's coverage of Ronald Reagan's funeral:

KWAME HOLMAN: The funeral service was rich with music, highlighted by the singing of Franz Schubert's "Amazing Grace" by Irish tenor Ronan Tynan.

MAN (singing): A grace that cause my heart to feel and graced my fear the precious deed what I believe the Lord has promised you to me he wore my shield and poison me as long, as life endures -- (emphasis added)

Now in the first place, it might come as news to John Newton that Schubert wrote what is arguably the most famous hymn in the world! But look at the words...it gets even better. The transcriber obviously either didn't spend much time in church, or else wasn't listening to the words...and nobody who read/edited it was either apparently. Nor did they have much common sense, unless that is, they really think we should sing songs thanking God for poisoning us! For what it's worth, here are the two verses they mangled so badly.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear
And Grace, my fears relieved
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home