3/23/2006

A Profound Display of Ingratitude

I was delighted to turn on the news this morning and learn that three "peace activits" who had been held hostage by terrorists in Iraq since last year had been rescued. Apparently information gained from interrogating an arrested man earlier in the day led soldiers to where they were being held. This is really good news. One of my blogging buddies, Ben at http://hammerswing75.blogspot.com
has a personal connection to one of these men from his childhood church.

But I was disgusted with the statement released by their organization, the Christian Peace Team. Rather than expressing any gratitude for the courage of the men who risked their lives to rescue the captives, the group expressed gratitude for the outpouring of kindness they had received from Muslims around the world...and the hope that Christians would be more like them! Would it have killed them to say thanks?

2 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

Apparently so!...sick isnt it?..UGH.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger W.B. Picklesworth said...

I share your disgust with CPT. I don't think that it is a religious organization, but a political one. Shame on them.

My parents are visiting England in May and hope to see Norman. Obviously it's too early to know if they'll get the chance. I wouldn't blame him a bit if he decided to take a nice long nap in his bed with periodic tea breaks.

Knowing him, I suspect that he has gratitude for the troops that rescued him. At the same time I think that his pacifism will be unshaken. People should know that it isn't a political or cynical pacifism. It is a deeply held belief that comes from his Christian faith. I believe it to be wrong, but it pains me to see him lumped in with hippie posers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home