9/17/2010

A Surprising Confession from a Political Junkie

I have been a political junkie since 1968, when my mother explained to my then six-year-old self the difference between electoral and popular votes. I have passionately followed and participated in politics over the years. One of the things I'm most happy about is that I turned 18 in time to vote for Reagan over Carter in 1980. I know who's running for obscure offices in a surprising (and perhaps scary) number of places. I keep up with the trends, the polls, the parties and the candidates. And I have a confession to make.

I am thoroughly sick of this election season, and can't wait for it to be over.

The country appears to be ready for a swing back toward sanity after four years of the Democrats proving they don't know what they're doing either, and two years of President Obama confirming everything some of us said about how his complete and total inexperience would impact his job performance. There are a few good candiates to get excited about, (watch Mr. Rubio from Florida...you'll be seeing him again soon) a few strange ones to get amused at, and perhaps the change some of us are hoping for (to coin a phrase) is waiting over the horizon.

I just don't care. I know it's important. I know why it matters. I will go an vote in November, even though since I live in the reddest state in America there aren't any particularly compeling races. (As an aside, if you don't go and vote, you are seriously not fit to live in this country, but that's another rant.) I hope the good guys win, the bad guys lose, and that someday we can tell the difference between the two groups.

I still don't care. I'm bored with stupid campaign ads. I'm tired of hoping the GOP doesn't live up to their nickname as the stupid party and find a way to give back the advantages they have (and they're trying hard). If we can already have Chrsitmas stuff in the stores, can't we at least get the election over with? Please?

2 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Rebecca Aguilar said...

Apathy becomes you! =)

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Dan said...

Clears throat....wasn't it you that scolded me about 4 years ago for saying the same thing? :-D BTW....I agree!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home