12/25/2010

My Favorite Christmas Song

Years ago when the kids were very young, we were driving to church for a Christmas Eve service. On the way we were singing Christmas songs. We did carols, hymns and fun songs (but no "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"...that came later...). After we had sung a few, Brenda said, "Let's sing our favorite Christmas songs."

So I started with my favorite, "What Child Is This?" After that, it was Bryant's turn. I think he was either four or five that year. And without hesitation he said, "Jesus Loves Me."

I opened my mouth to tell him that wasn't a Christmas song. And then I closed my mouth to words and started singing with him. Because really, is there a better one? Is there anything else that describes the purpose and meaning of Christmas better than those simple words? I know lots and lots of Christmas songs, but I can't think of a more fitting or appropriate one still today:

Jesus loves me
This I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong
They are weak
But He is strong
Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
The Bible tells me so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home