11/01/2006

Six Days Out, Here's What I Know

I don't know what's going to happen in next Tuesday's elections. (I don't think anybody else does either...and that's the point of this post.) There are enough opinion polls floating around to choke an elephant--and given the results of most them, that may be what ends up happening. But...the way I see it, there are three possibilities:

1) The polls are right, and the GOP is heading for a loss that, while not disastrous by historical standards, will cost them control of both houses of Congress.

2) The polls are close, and Dems will gain enough seats in the House to take over, and come close enough in the Senate to basically put the place into gridlock.

3) The polls are off, and the evil genius Rove and Chimpy McBushitler are going to pull a rabbit out of the hat that will result in much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth (not to mention lawsuits and claims of vote fraud).

I still for some reason think the polling is screwy. Looking at the sampling rates and the sample sizes, I don't trust them. Maybe the Reps are blowing smoke, but the turnout operation is in high gear, and may just be enough to turn the tide. Maybe not. Who knows?

Here's what I know for sure:

1) I will be happy to see the end of political ads. They are running back to back to back much of the time here in Oklahoma. And frankly, in my professional opinion, almost all of them stink. Is there no market for creativity in political ads?

2) I will vote. Unlike some of my friends, I haven't given up on the process. Every time I get disgusted what politicians, I remember my Dad serving in the Army and get off the couch and do my (very small) part to preserve the freedom he paid for.

3) President Bush is not going to lose. Hint for the donkey types--he ain't on the ballot. Now does he have an enormous stake in the outcome? Of course. But he isn't running. And he won't be in 2008 either. Get some new material guys...and maybe a plan for the future. You might be able to win this time by being the un-Repubs, but it won't work twice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home