2/06/2006

McCain Slams the Hammer Down on Barak Obama

I'm not the world's biggest fan of John McCain. His grandstanding gets a little old, and his blatant assault on the Constitution in the guise of "campaign finance reform" is disgusting. But the man knows how to drop the hammer on a disingenuous Democrat. The whole letter is posted here on McCain's website, but here's a taste:


Dear Senator Obama:

I would like to apologize to you for assuming that your private assurances to me regarding your desire to cooperate in our efforts to negotiate bipartisan lobbying reform legislation were sincere. When you approached me and insisted that despite your leadership’s preference to use the issue to gain a political advantage in the 2006 elections, you were personally committed to achieving a result that would reflect credit on the entire Senate and offer the country a better example of political leadership, I concluded your professed concern for the institution and the public interest was genuine and admirable. Thank you for disabusing me of such notions...please be assured I won’t make the same mistake again.


That is a major-league putdown. Full props are due to the lost art of the gracious insult. I once heard a man described as "the kindest and gentlest man ever to slit a throat or scuttle a ship" and this letter from McCain comes pretty close to fitting that description.

1 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Nephos said...

I love it when you have to read it twice to make sure it's a slam. Not always a fan of McCain, but great letter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home